Thursday 13 November 2008

Reel Opinion: Barry Hughes

For this month's Reel Opinion we handed the baton of judgement to Therapy's Barry Hughes. After checking out five pieces that caught our eye from the October editions, here's what he had to say:

Barry Hughes
MD
Therapy Films, London

Thankfully, up to now, I have managed to steer clear of having to publicly voice my opinions on aired work. Most of which will obviously have had all sorts of barriers put in its way, prior to delivery of the finished spots we see. I am very aware of how frustrating this process can be, only for someone to then start slagging it off and highlighting it’s shortfalls. Nearly all of which will have been the result of endless research and testing, prior to airing. Hence the reason that there is still an abundance of director / agency cuts that get put on show reels.

Here however, we do have a couple of fantastic examples of exactly what can be achieved with creative thinking and a degree of trust.



Diesel - 'SFX XXX'

Agency: The Viral Factory, London

Production: The Viral Factory, London

Director: The Viral Factory

For so long, virals relied entirely on sexual content, and lacked strong ideas. We are all becoming more aware of how far reaching good virals are, and the need for something original and either eye catching or very funny, in order for anyone to feel the urge to pass it on. This one has it all. Fantastic idea, brilliantly executed, better with repeat viewing, and definitely one I would pass on. Even to my Mother, who may even find it amusing – not that she buys Diesel products… I even like the cameo appearance of Graham Fink chewing the corn cob.



Guinness - 'Fridge Magnet'

Agency - IIBBDO, Dublin

Production - Sonny, London

Director - Fredrik Bond

I am a big fan of Fredrik Bond. I don’t know how he finds the time to do every job he does, but each one is handled with the same flair and artistry as the next. And this is no exception. Looks fantastic, and each of the cast members look like they are genuinely having a good time. This adds a great depth to the spot, and coupled with a cracking track, makes for the best Guinness ad I have seen for a long time.

From here it all starts to go downhill a bit.



Amnesty International - 'Electrocuting Man'

Agency - n/a

Production - Stink, London

Director - Darkfibre

It is getting increasingly difficult to deliver a hard hitting charity ad with a message that the viewer can not only understand, but also feel enough to donate money for. This one for me does not manage either. I was completely at a loss to understand what was going on, and felt absolutely no emotion toward the people on screen, or their plight. At first I felt guilty about this, and started to think that maybe that was the message: So many charity ads challenging for money that the best way to get it is to baffle the viewer and make them think that only they don’t understand it, and surely its better to donate money than admit stupidity…. I still didn’t put my hand in my pocket.



Cadbury Roses - 'Showers'

Agency - Publicis Mojo, Melbourne

Production - Independent Films, Sydney

Director - Scott Otto Anderson


This is probably a personal one to me. I am not a sweet person, but every Christmas, it has become tradition to fill the house with every conceivable chocolate and sweet available. Within our family it has become a big challenge as to the diversity of sweet on offer. Roses and Quality Street are a staple part of the mix. So when confronted by pictures of Roses in a nice sunny location, it does absolutely nothing for me. Surely the last thing you would be thinking about in the midst of summer, is a chocolate sweet. I do realise that Christmas down under does occur in the middle of summer, and that the feelings I have here may be shared by countless Antipodeans, that would think it odd to partake of chocolate any time other than the middle of summer. Oh the joys of global advertising. I shall still be buying my one family size tin of Roses in around three weeks time.



BBC Radio 2 - Jonathan

Agency - RCKR/Y&R

Production - Outsider, London / Red Bee Media, London

Director - James Rouse

I stopped listening to Radio 2 when Mark Lamar ceased doing his show on Saturday mornings. When Jonathan Ross took over, it was enough to make me take it off the auto tuner in the car. Not being a fan of Jonathan’s, it is hard for me to watch anything he does. But this spot does sum up what Radio 2 has become. Men of my age trying to revisit their youth, on air, to millions of people in the same boat. I much prefer accepting middle age, and moving straight to Radio 5 for a good old rant and rave on a phone in.


I am sure there really is a need when writing reviews to think more laterally. But what the hell. These are my thoughts and opinions. They will surely not matter to anyone, but apologies to anyone that feels I may have done them any sort of disservice.

No comments: