Thursday 5 March 2009

Reel Opinion - Flavio Pantigoso

The first Reel Opinion of 09 is from the brilliant Flavio Pantigoso of Y&R Peru, who's top quality creative has been gracing both the website and DVD regularly for sometime now. He has kindly taken the time to cast his expert peepers over some of the latest and greatest work to fly into Reel Towers over the past month.


Flavio Pantigoso

Creative Director

Y&R Peru

Monster - Double Take

Agency: BBDO New York

Production: Epoch / Rattling Stick

Director: Daniel Kleinman


This is a funny idea, although not necessarily brilliant and without the penetrating depth of former executions by monster.com. I’m not sure if the value proposal of the brand gets very clear. The humorous premise that at work there are winners and losers is funny but, perhaps, a bit cruel at this time of layoffs around the world. Maybe, I would expect a greater empathy, a more concrete demonstration of what the brand can do for me at this moment.


Dairy Milk - Eyebrows

Agency: Fallon London

Production: MJZ London

Director: Tom Kuntz



That Gorilla put the bar really high. This execution is impeccable and fun, but looks a little bit more effect-based and puts forth a little bit more effort than Gorilla, which was insultingly daring to discard all premises of what should be "a classic advertising idea based on a clear reason-why." However, this is an execution fully conversant with the internet world, and I like the Cadbury's consistency of continuing to interpret with sublime liberty the concept of "a glass and a half full of joy" as the possibility of giving people a moment of pleasure.

Hulu.com - Alec in Huluwood

Agency: CPB Miami

Production: Pony Show Entertainment Los Angeles

Director: Peter Berg




Fantastic. A cynical, delirious and brilliant look regarding the theories about the alienating powers of television. Baldwin is excellent and the editing is clever. It's possibly the most memorable Super Bowl ad for me. "An Evil Plot to Destroy the world" is about creating a drama around the brand. It's accepting that, hey, this is TV Land. In other words, time to have some fun.


T-Mobile - Change of Routine

Agency: Saatchi & Saatchi London

Production: Partizan London

Director: Micheal Gracey


It feels neither fresh nor highly original. It's an idea that has been done before. But the problem with this piece is, basically, credibility. I really cannot digest the "naturality" of this collective manifestation of happiness. Everything about it feels like “too much advertising”. In the area of great collective ideas, Nike, Playstation, Adidas ... continue to rule.

Kia Soul - Cabin

Agency: Publicis Toronto

Production: Untitled Films Toronto

Director: Mark Gilbert


I must confess that I went to the website http://www.peerintoasoul.ca/ to help me understand this spot. From that point of view, the goal of this effort might be accomplished. But I had to look at the other two spots from this campaign on the website to assure myself that it was the idea that I truly thought think it was. Excellent production, intriguing, but the "I stopped doing what I thought I was important to do because my attention was caught by a car" is not only an overdone concept, but also makes me question whether or not I want to exchange four beauties for a car like this one.

No comments: